Archive for March 3rd, 2011

March 3, 2011

Tired of Illegal Immigration Yet?

by lewwaters

The Sunday February 27 Columbian included an article saying “Hispanic population rises quickly” 2010 Census figures reveal that number of Latinos in Clark County nearly doubled in past decade. Even though singling out Hispanics, nowhere is even an estimate given of how many are in the country openly in violation of our immigration laws nor is it pointed out that illegal aliens violating our immigration is not restricted to Hispanics.

The Seattle Times, on February 1 was more informative, letting us know, “Illegal-immigrant numbers in state jump 35% in 3 years” An estimated 230,000 illegal immigrants were living in Washington state last year — 35 percent more than three years earlier, according to a new report by the Pew Hispanic Center. The total represents one of every 20 workers in the state.

Unlike the Columbian article, the Seattle Times breaks it down saying, “While 57 percent are from Mexico, the illegal immigrants hail from across the world, including Canada.” The remaining 43% are just as much illegal aliens as are the 57% Mexicans. The call for border enforcement and adherence to our immigration laws is not about disliking Mexicans, racism against Hispanics or any other such tomfoolery people accuse others who call for immigration enforcement of.

read more »

March 3, 2011

Citizen to City Council Member Burkman: Civility

by lewwaters

As was previously posted here, Monday evening, February 28, 2011 saw Vancouver city council member Jeanne ‘Gavel Down’ Harris once again confront successful Vancouver businessman David Madore. This time however, instead of berating Mr. Madore, she, acting as contrite as she is capable, placed blame for the subsequent negativity associated with her previous meltdown on Mr. Madore, asking him to please remove the video of her now internationally famous “Gavel Down” incident.

As council meeting was wrapping up, council member Jack Burkman, for whatever reason decided to publicly add his two cents and admonish Mr. Madore as well.

read more »

March 3, 2011

Are There Any Real Newspaper Editors Any Longer?

by lewwaters

You just got to love this old movie scene, taken from the 1939 classic, ‘Jesse James.’ Throughout the movie, the character of Major Rufus Cobb, the grizzled news editor rails on and on against what he sees as unjust, calling upon whatever it is to “take them out and shoot them down like dogs.”

Just a movie line and not anything meant to be taken literal, but it shows a mindset where once upon a time, newspaper editors stood up for the citizens against corrupt, unjust politicians or whoever was trying to take advantage of the citizens.

What made me think of this was an article appearing in the Columbian,

Legislature has clout to OK tolls for light rail
It could do so even if voters defeat proposed C-Tran hike

read more »